Thursday, October 30, 2008

ORA-01005: null password given; logon denied

I was doing a simple POC of JDBC.
My system configuration is

Operating System : Windows XP
OS Architecture : x86
OS Version : 5.1
Database Version : Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Beta
Java Version : 1.5.0_16
JDBC Jar File : OJDBC5.jar

When I tried to run the program I was getting "null password given; logon denied", yeah I know the reason :) I cross checked that I have missed giving password but NO wait...I have given it correctly, but still I was getting "null password given; logon denied".

I searched net for any issues related to it, and found one blog where it says change the language settings, I tried it but had no success. So I went and saw was I using correct ojdbc5.jar file, looked like I was using correct jar and that too with correct version of JAVA but still I got the error. after struggling for 3 days I just thought to use the jar provided by ORACLE XE in %ORACLE_HOME%/lib, it contained ojdbc1.4.jar and ojdbc1_g.jar it says to use this jar with JDK1.4 but I was using 1.5 but still wanted to test it. so I went ahead and used 1.4 drivers instead of 5.jar, it just worked out...... :) but still have to figure out why I was getting "null password given; logon denied" when I was using ojdbc5.jar which should be used with JAVA 1.5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this due to different versions of oracle DB old JDBC drivers are working fine with DB 10g and the new drivers work fine with 11g not a10g that is why when you change to the old drivers it worked fine not because of the JDK the JDK will run both drivers fine

Francisco Batista said...

Hello,

Have you figured out how to work with the newer driver? I'm facing the same problem while trying to connect to a Oracle 10g database.

I would like to user the most updated driver to connect to all sort of Oracle databases; however, with this bug/problem I'm unable to do that.

Thank you

Thanks